Thursday, October 18, 2012

Patch-Work

Looking through my daughters' drawers, it's hard to find a pair of jeans that are without holes. I often wonder why this happens now at this stage? They're not toddlers anymore who are constantly crawling around on their hands and knees. But ever since their Size 4 jeans and up? Yup...holes, holes and more holes.

Whatever the reason behind it, it's frustrating!

Not only do I not want to just throw out the damaged clothing, I also don't want to fork out more money to keep replacing them when the holes come quicker than they outgrow them.

I'm not much of a sewer. That's an understatement actually. But I do pride myself on sewing patches on my girls' ripped jeans, getting at least a little more life out of them [I iron them on first, but then also sew them on for a bit of extra strength, because if they're just ironed on they seem to peel off quickly after the first wash].

This way I'm keeping my money in my pocket, I'm re-using jeans that tried to defeat me AND the girls get a fun splash of color on their otherwise plain-looking jeans.

It's a win-win-WIN situation if you ask me!

I actually just came across a blog post for a few other ideas for patching clothing too. Jean jackets, knit sweaters and of course jeans [a fun under-the-hole patch idea that I think I'll try next time!].

And aside from fixing up wardrobe items for them to maintain their original use, you can also come up with ways to re-use them as other things. Worn out jeans can be turned into capris or shorts - or used to cut into squares and make a denim-patch quilt! Sweater sleeves can be used to make sock look-a-likes to go under your boots for fall. And one project that I totally want to try with an old t-shirt is this DIY T-Shirt scarf!

So the next time you come across an item of clothing that is not in tip-top shape anymore - don't give up and just toss 'em. Think about the other things you can do with them to either lengthen their life span or to give them a totally new use! The options are endless...thanks to Pinterest [hee hee]!


No comments:

Post a Comment