Thursday, April 11, 2013

Honouring Mothers: Lindsey's Story


I had always wanted to be a young mother. Being an only child, I also wanted to have LOTS of kids, at least four, preferably 6. My husband and I got married just before we turned 20, and we started trying for a baby when we were 22. The plan was perfect, go to Europe for 3 months, come back pregnant!

Before we even left for Europe things weren't right. After I stopped birth control, things just didn't return to normal. I went to the doctor several times and he advised me to wait it out. And wait we did, for an entire year. At this point I got fed up with waiting and demanded he do something about. Little did I know how much more waiting I would have to do. I got referred to a OB/GYN, had an ultrasound. They saw something funky so I got scheduled for an MRI. Everything was normal, except for a few cysts on my ovaries. I got referred to another OB/GYN who was more knowledgeable with infertility. She diagnosed me with PCOS. I tried charting, and several medications before I got referred to Heartland fertility clinic, because nothing was working. Heartland is the only fertility clinic in Manitoba, so the wait times are very long, even just to get that first appointment. Through Heartland I tried more medication and had surgery. I was now 26 and nothing had worked thus far. We finally got to sign up for our first fertility treatment, an IUI. In January 2012 I injected myself with medication and had the procedure done. In October 2012 my miracle baby boy was born, exactly 5 years after we began trying.

Infertility was a very hard road to travel. It seemed never ending. It seemed hopeless. It was filled with questions. It was filled with hurt. It seemed like everyone was getting pregnant around me with the greatest of ease. Every new pregnancy announcement was another stab in the heart. I cried A LOT.

But here I stand on the other side of infertility, and I can truly say it was all worth it. Every step in this journey lead me to my precious Tallet Reid. Being his mother is the greatest blessing in the world and I would go through all the waiting and all the hurt for him a hundred times over. It has made me a better mother. It has made me a better person.

I am thankful that I had to travel that road. It has helped me to relate to MANY other women who are struggling as I have. I think my story can give hope to those who are still in the 'waiting' period of their lives. Yes I know the waiting is long, but there is hope. There is always hope!

Lindsey

*******************************************************

Thank you for sharing your story, Lindsey. Very touching! Besides opening up about her experience, Lindsey has also qualified to be entered to win a $20 gift certificate to our shop. You can enter too! Click here for all of the details. We hope to have our inbox [info@tinytreehuggerdiapers.com] flooded with entries - everyone has a story to tell...we'd love to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment