Friday, May 10, 2013

Honouring Mothers: Jane's Story

Like other stories on your blog, my husband and I have also struggled with infertility, went through all the tests and were referred to Heartland.  We endured the wait to be seen, the wait to do the tests, the wait to go through the procedures and meanwhile my biological clock was going tick, tick, tick.  

Not only were we dealing with the fertility drugs and tests, I was trying other things like acupuncture, herbal teas, yoga, physiotherapy, all in hopes of trying to boost our fertility.  After a long discussion with my husband when he pointed out that I was going a little insane, I realized I was taking on the full responsibility of our future family.  This was very stressful to say the least which probably contributed even more to the problem.

Around the same time, we attended an information evening at Adoption Options Manitoba and learned about private domestic adoption.  It took us a month or two to sort it all out in our heads and hearts, but we decided that this was an option we wanted to look at.  I think it was meant to be because in just over a year, we brought home our son when he was 3 days old.  He is now two years old and the love of our lives.

I find Mother’s Day to be full of very mixed emotions which have only become more complicated since we adopted.  I remember all those years of trying to bury the pain on Mother’s day.  I’ve identified with the pain of all of those who are desperate to be able to celebrate the day.  I have the joy of finally being able to celebrate as a mother.  But I also have seen the pain that is felt by mothers who have made the hardest decision any mother can make – to place their child in other peoples’ hands because it is best for the child.  They are the mothers who probably have the hardest time dealing with Mother’s Day because they have made the ultimate sacrifice for their child by putting the child’s needs ahead of their own, which is ultimately the true definition of a mother.  

***********************************************************************

Thank you for that, Jane...it was our first story of adoption - beautiful! Thanks for entering to win a $20 gift certificate to our shop. As for the rest of you - get your story in...contest ends May 12th at 11:59pm! Click here for all of the details. Everyone has a story to tell...we'd love to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment